Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 7

 
Today is our last day, we are going home tomorrow! We went out to Coconut Grove to complete our final project for this trip. We aimed to determine the population differences between inside the reef and outside the reef of several species of fish. My assignment was to count grunts, I saw two. The water was really nasty, it had lots of seaweed and debris. There was a lot of dogtooth limestone going in, so it was a bit of a pain. Austin, our Forfar guide for the day, showed us three different species of nerites that occupy the dogtooth limestone on the shores of Coconut Grove.

Then we went into Nichol's Town for lunch. A game of ultimate frisbee got started, so we stayed at the beach at Nichol's Town for a bit. I walked over to the local watering hole to get a soda, and it was the best grape Fanta I've ever had! A couple of local ladies ran the store, and they had a cat running around in there. I doubt our local health department would smile on that, but they (and the cat) seemed just fine with it.

Afterwards, we went to the grapefruit farm that the Mennonites run. I took a little nap in the van while everyone picked grapefruits. We went over to the bake sale that the Mennonites have every Friday, and I bought some cookies. They had honey, and lots of different sweets and breads. Everyone was really tired, so we headed back to the station to start packing and getting ready to go home.

We ate dinner and had a wrap-up lecture afterwards. Then we all went out to the campfire and Molly told us the Archie Story. Apparently Archie Forfar was a diver who built the field station initially as a diving resort, and then added on the field station. Archie may or may not have died in a diving incident, and Molly scared us all with several reported sightings of Archie's ghost. We all dispersed and went to bed expecting a visit from Archie, it made falling asleep a bit of a difficult task. We leave wicked early in the morning!

**It appears that I left my camera in the room when we went out, so I posted a picture I took of the local yummy soda that I bought from Terpy's Treats this evening**

No comments:

Post a Comment