Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 5

Our schedule board in the dining room
Today was a no-swim day so we could dry out a bit. But after we got back, I jumped in with my snorkel anyway.
Atala butterfly

Racer snake at Atala Coppice
We went to Atala Coppice and saw the Atala butterfly. We also saw many of the same plants we saw at Maidenhair Coppice. Our guide spotted a racer snake and picked it up. When he handed it to me, it pooped all over, and it smelled so incredibly bad! We identified many of the plants we are supposed to learn, and then we hopped in the van and headed toward Red Bays. On the way, we stopped at a savanna/swash area and dodged the poisonwood to go check out saw grass and mud. Can you tell I like boat trips better than road trips?

Basket weaving at Red Bays
Mrs. Marshall
At Red Bays, we met several families that do carvings in mahogany wood, make baskets, sell sponges and other souvenirs. I bought three baskets (one for my mom, one for my grandma, and one for me!) and a carved bonefish for my dad. I need to buy a few more souvenirs for my kids, and I think I'll have everyone covered. We met Mrs. Marshall, a 96 year-old woman who was the bush doctor and midwife for the island of Andros until recently. When the new government took over, they told her she could no longer provide medical care on the island. She was not happy about that at all. She showed us all of the awards that she has been given for her service to the island and its people, and she was very proud of those. She also told us some stories about when she was younger and skipped school to go skinny-dipping in the ocean. She told us that she had 14 children! It was really exciting meeting Mrs. Marshall, she has been a pivotal citizen of Andros, and I hope that the government realizes what a treasure she is and allows her the freedom to practice her craft and to pass it down to younger generations as well.

When we got back to the station, I grabbed my snorkel and went out into the water. I forgot my camera, and I was really sorry. I saw a barracuda, some damselfish, and a grunt. After dinner, we had a lecture on invertebrates. We go to Money Point tomorrow to look for inverts at low tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment